- Founders –> we look for people who are very determined –> we look for a group of founders who will not give up
- We’re really interested in working with technology infused non profit
- We’re looking for people who’s working on some of the world’s difficult problems and really have the desire to create broad impact
- We have appreciation for sustainable biz model –> at one point reaching sustainability on their operation so they’re not continually fund raising.
- work on the product
- talk to their users
- measure their impact on a weekly basis
- Dare to dream… Dare to go for it !! Everybody define their own dream/success Dare to dream your ideal. Apply the law of attraction.
- Write your ideal scene down … Dare to dream your ideal..
- Start there … Make a list of goals. … Then write each goal as affirmation. And then start affirming those things, and from every goal, a plan will come/emerge.
- And then write each one of those plans on a piece of paper. Keep it simple. For everything U want in life, make a plan for it. And the Law of Attraction will responds. With no doubt, the universe will say yes to that.
- Ex: “I’m creating total financial success in an easy & relaxed manner, in a healthy & positive way”.
- I have no doubt that the Universe will say “yes” to whatever thought we have & whatever words we say in some mysterious way, and will start showing us how, if we dare to affirm.
- Law of Attraction : constantly pushing out positive thoughts of your mind.
- All the affirmation of the positive thinking works, unless we undo it with our own negative thinking. Because negative thinking is as powerful as positive thinking.
- Quit saying, “It’s hard, it’s complicated”, because it WILL become like that. Stop saying that !!
- OUR WORDS ARE POWERFUL, FOR GOOD OR BAD
- The Law Of Attraction in a Poem:
Mind is the Master Power that moulds & makes And we are Mind, and ever more we take The tool of thought, and shaping what we will Bring forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills We think in secret, and it comes to pass Our world is but our looking glass
- Our spirit can master time.
- Buckminster “Bucky” Fuller is a good example.
- “I’m going to make my life an experiment”
- “I’m actually going to show people how untogether I am. I’m very forgetful, I’m very disorganized, my desk is a chaos…(and I will make my success my own way, my own pace)”
- Making my Live as an experiment. I said, “Hey doubt and fears… Don’t bug me for one whole year. I’m gonna go for my dreams… On my own lazy ways, and in appeal to my laziness, I can sleep late, and I’m just gonna work when I feel like it.
- Doubt & fear said, “It would never work”
- But I said, “This would be my life experiment. And if I can do this, then I would really have something to share. Let me do it for a year, go after my dream in my own lazy way.”
- Take it easy.
- What I hope to do: To house, to feed, to heal, and to educate everybody.
Sophie’s notes from … Lilou Mace interview w. Marc Allen
Things about startup:
- RUNWAY How am I getting this done, by any means necessary, not about runway.FOUNDER It’s not always necessary to have a co founder. I like to see the people that can take the company to the distance, & being a single founder sometimes is the best way to do that. Some people are better to be a single founder & U should design the co around the skills.
- TIME => to launch Now, take as much time as possible to make your product perfect. There has to be a “hook” on how people love your product & it may take a while to craft that. Not only concerning about MVP, but how can U raise above ur competitors.
- LOCATION Relationships U’re building.
- INVESTORS Nobody knows anything – William G. When U’re talking to an investor, it’s really personal, it’s very subjective. The river always flowing. Think of the world your investor play, and where they’re coming from. Do research.
- PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT It’s really important to build for today. Having a big vision => this is the area we’re gonna disrupt. What’s today’s big problem that I’m gonna solve? The design => if U have something really breakthrough, don’t worry about your design. I focus more on the iceberg of the product, not just the surface.
- PEOPLE Many people who start a startup don’t know how to manage people. It’s really important to perfect how U manage people, one by one. Build the time that way. Diversity is really important. Prioritize hiring women early on. Mental diversity. We’re not gonna get more female founders unless they get more experience. CAN I TALK TO U FOR A MINUTE? The importance of managing people. “The scarf method” Startup can be crazy & U loose perspective of things around U, & that’s actually important, to be in that “no perspective” place.
- EQUINOX The timeline of when U don’t have to make money to when U do. I like a co that think of the biz model early on, ahead of time. U have good destiny when U control the money. Either U’re in control of raising money or making money. Investors invest in POTENTIAL. They like to look at what they look for, what potentially gonna be valuable.
- COSMOS There are big problems out there to solve. I’d really like to see breakthrough things. U really only are going to achieve as big as U do dream. What I do is look for people who have really big dreams & they know how to build for today to get there, whatever U view as meaningful/inspirational. Ideas@highlinevp.com
It’s really important when U start a co to have that spark, bc if U don’t have that, it’s going to show. The authenticity shows.Find something that inspires U
U can always get a job. It’s easier. Startup is really hard, so if U’re gonna do it, U gotta go for it, and THAT’S what I wanna see.
Sophie’s notes from … Startup School NY 2014
- Keeping people focused => is the hardest thing in running any side project. Pushing people harder and keeping people accountable.
- We met 30 people and every single one of them turn as down. If u have enough people telling U that U’re crazy, U can start doubting yourself. => so.. Be careful !
- We met PG, and he’s the first person who gets it. That’s the turning point. That’s what kicking things for us.
- Focus on making a small group of people LOVE U.
- If I leaned something that day, then it’s a success.
- If U’re doing SU, the rotten sandwich U’re gonna be having is facing lots & lots of failure and rejections.. (if U’re not careful).. That could .. Make U question yourself.
Sophie’s notes from … Chase Adams at Startup School NY 2014
“If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is, too.” ~ p.50
– If you want to stay happy, you have to do something
– To be happy I think U have to be doing something U not only enjoy, but admire. U have to be able to say, at the end, “Wow, that’s pretty cool!!” 🙂
– Plenty of people who will later do great things seem to be facing disappointments early on, when they’re trying to find their niche
– More often people who do great things have careers with the trajectory of a ping-pong ball. They go to school to study A, drop out and get a job doing B, and then become famous for C, after taking it up on the side.
– “Always produce” will discover your life’s work the way water, with the aid of gravity, finds the hole in your roof.
– It would require a great moral effort; it would mean STARING FAILURE IN THE EYES EVERYDAY FOR YEARS.
– Anything U work on changes U.
– Consumption is learning. Almost everything I have learned as an entrepreneur has come from seeing the work of others.
SOURCE: Can’t remember
A note from 210915 Monday